Thursday, February 9, 2012

Foul-Mouthed Imported Garlic...


Without a doubt, foul mouthing imported garlic is not only valid but justified for those who are concerned with food miles (that is, how far food has travelled and the amount of carbon produced in the process); it is also a concern for those who want to consume fewer chemicals. It is a known fact that garlic is usually treated with growth retardants and other chemicals when it is brought into Australia.

Unfortunately, the local garlic industry is relatively small and labour intensive, imports make up a large percentage of the garlic consumed in Australia.
There are no better reasons why I have started planting garlic in my backyard. Firstly, it is relatively easy to grow and highly rewarding task. Also, growing your own garlic means you get to eat a fresh, organic product from your own backyard, reduce the carbon footprint and one that hasn’t been imported.

I have been waiting patiently to harvest my first crop of home-grown garlic which I have planted at the end of last autumn. Autumn is the best time to grow this aromatic bulb and an essential ingredient in Chinese stir- fry but before planting it’s important to prepare the soil. Garlic prefers alkaline and hates acidic soil, so you might need to rake in some dolomite into the garden beds.
It seems ages for the bulbs to grow but I have pulled out some plants to check on the bulbs as the foliage has die down in recent days. I think I have to be patient just now and wait for another couple of days before I harvest them.

2 comments:

  1. I will be happy to hear of your garlic success - we grow it too (here in California) and last year we didn't grow nearly enough. Also, how are your tomatoes doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marsha,
    I am quite happy with the recent harvest of my backyard garlic. But not too successful with my upside down tomatoes due to the unusual heavy rainfall this summer. I will be planting more garlic this autumn as my family loves garlic.
    Cheers,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete