Here is a simple recipe for steamed rice pudding (chwee kuih) to those new kakis or students who are feeling homesick and want a taste of hawker's food.
1 cup rice long grain rice powder.
3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Dried Pickled Raddish
1/2 small onion
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil
1. Chop onion finely.
2. Chop pickled raddish finely.
3. Mix rice powder with water. Pour mixture into pan and stir continually for 3 minutes over low heat. Stir continually so that rice paste won't stick to pan and burn.
4. Spoon rice paste into teacups. Steam over high heat for 20 minutes.
5. Heat pan and add 2 tablespoons oil. Stir-fry onion until golden brown , add radiish and stir fry until fragrant.
6. Carefully remove cooked rice pudding from teacup and garnish with radish.